Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Best Ever Caramel Slice

Ok, so that's a big call, but one I think is well deserved. Since finding this recipe, it is the only caramel slice I will make. The flavour is rich, the caramel is thick, the base crunchy and I really could eat this until I vomit. My complete lack of self control means I come close, everytime I allow this beautifully indulgent treat to make it into my kitchen.


So where does one find a recipe for the Best Ever Caramel Slice? On the back of a Nestle Plaistowe Premium Milk cooking chocolate packet. I love giving "back-of-a-packet" recipes a go. Well, I love giving any recipe a go but there's an element of excitement involved when you're creating the dish that sold you the product right? Ok, maybe I am the only one who gets kicks out of that, but if you give this one a go I'm sure you'll be singing its praise.

Base
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa (I used Dutched)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
125g butter, melted
Filling
395g can sweetened condensed milk (I used the skimmed version)
2 tbsp golden syrup
60g butter
Topping
200g milk chocolate (that's where the packet comes in, but now I have the recipe I normally use Callebaut 34%)

  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a slice pan (the recipe specified 26cm x 16cm but I only have a 20cm x 20cm).
  2. Combine sifted flour, sifted cocoa, sugar, coconut and melted butter in a mixing bowl. When combined, press into the base of the pan. Bake for 15 mins or until lightly browned.
  3. Combine filling ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until butter has melted and caramel is smooth. Pour over base and return to oven for 10-12 minutes. Watch it to make sure the caramel doesn't burn. Refrigerate 3-4hrs (I've gotten away with 2hrs before).
  4. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, being sure not to let the bowl touch the water. (The original recipe combined 50g melted Copha to the chocolate. It makes the slice easier to cut as the chocolate doesn't set so hard, but I detest Copha and never use it. You could add a dash of vegetable oil for similar effect, but I just deal with hard chocolate, or heat a knife for cutting.) Refrigerate 1 hr or until set. Cut into squares.

You can see from the pictures what happens when the Copha is omitted: the cold chocolate cracks when you cut it. For me, that's a small price to pay, and I have never had anyone complain their chocolate was cracked. It's not show-worthy, but it's pretty damn good.

The only reason I could justify making this, is that I'm running 28kms in the morning, taking this week's total to around 55kms. Still not enough to burn off the whole slice, but enough to allow me a couple of pieces. This slice is divine, but it is evil, and is best made for sharing. Even better is if you can take it somewhere (birthday or a morning tea for example), have a piece or two yourself, then leave the rest there!

5 comments:

  1. I like trying packet recipes too. One of my favs is the choc brownies on the Nestle cocoa tin, yum! If you want to avoid copha (i don't use it either) you could easily use cold pressed coconut oil :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made those brownies too Amber! Yum!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Great recipe! I added vegetable oil to the chocolate and it didn't set... I'll try the fridge bit. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva, thanks for stopping by :) Sorry the chocolate didn't set! How much oil did you add? A dash is normally all you need, but I do always let mine set in the frigde. I hope it hardened up for you.

      Delete
  3. I can't remember the last time I had a caramel slice! Thanks for the recipe, Pam, it looks very moreish! :)

    ReplyDelete