Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Desperate times call for: Hedgehog Slice

This morning I made the decision to get my hair cut. There are a couple of those "take-a-ticket" options at my local shopping centre so I kitted the girls up with some colouring books, crayons and snacks and decided to just do it. I had Poppet in the pram to avoid havoc in the salon, and to provide a storage place for all the things we seem to need to take on even the simplest of trips, so armed with my ammunition I boldly approached the counter to take my ticket. Before I had a chance to state my business, the hairdresser behind the counter quickly informed me that I couldn't take the pram in, and there was clearly no place for it (or my children). The girls were disappointed that they weren't able to sit and explore their new colouring books, and I was heartbroken. That woman had no idea what kind of hormones she had messed with. I expressed my disappointment then turned the pram and walked down the mall with unfortunate tears welling up. Who cries because they can't take a pram into a store? Really? A crazy pregnant woman, that's who! I did the rest of my shopping as quickly as I could and came home. This occasion called for one thing and one thing only. Hedgehog slice.

This no-bake recipe is adapted from one I found on Kidspot, and preparation began as soon as I walked in the door.

250g packet plain biscuits
¾ cup almonds (I used blanched)
1 cup sultanas
120g butter
100g raw sugar (caster sugar would be better but I was out)
2 tbsp cocoa (dutch processed)
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten

Icing
1½ cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
2-3 tbsp water
hundreds and thousands
  1. Whiz biscuits and almonds in a food processor, leaving some lumps. 
  2. Add sultanas, cocoa and coconut. Stir to combine.
  3. Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a small saucepan and stir until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. 
  4. Add butter mix to dry ingredients and mix, then stir in the egg.
  5. Press into a lined 20cm x 20cm tin. Wet fingers will help this.
  6. To make icing, combine icing sugar and cocoa, then add as much water is needed to form a spreadable paste. 
  7. Spread icing over slice (this will be difficult if the icing is too thick), sprinkle with hundreds and thousands (or not if you don't like them) and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. Slice in the tin.
 

I haven't eaten hedgehog slice in years, but this looks just like the stuff I remember from bakeries as a kid. My complete chocolate ban of last week resulted in a successful addiction break, so I have relaxed the rule to allow chocolate on the weekend. I don't remember saying anything about cocoa though, and it is Hump Day. Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you, like me, have found something to make this Hump Day a bit brighter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment