This no-bake recipe is adapted from one I found on Kidspot, and preparation began as soon as I walked in the door.
250g packet plain biscuits
¾ cup almonds (I used blanched)
1 cup sultanas
100g raw sugar (caster sugar would be better but I was out)
2 tbsp cocoa (dutch processed)
2 tbsp dessicated coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
1½ cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
2-3 tbsp water
hundreds and thousands
- Whiz biscuits and almonds in a food processor, leaving some lumps.
- Add sultanas, cocoa and coconut. Stir to combine.
- Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a small saucepan and stir until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved.
- Add butter mix to dry ingredients and mix, then stir in the egg.
- Press into a lined 20cm x 20cm tin. Wet fingers will help this.
- To make icing, combine icing sugar and cocoa, then add as much water is needed to form a spreadable paste.
- Spread icing over slice (this will be difficult if the icing is too thick), sprinkle with hundreds and thousands (or not if you don't like them) and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. Slice in the tin.
I haven't eaten hedgehog slice in years, but this looks just like the stuff I remember from bakeries as a kid. My complete chocolate ban of last week resulted in a successful addiction break, so I have relaxed the rule to allow chocolate on the weekend. I don't remember saying anything about cocoa though, and it is Hump Day. Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you, like me, have found something to make this Hump Day a bit brighter.